Habesha2day
Welcome
Login

News and Events


  • BOLT AND AYANA CROWNED 2016 WORLD ATHLETES OF THE YEAR

     

    Jamaica’s Usain Bolt and Ethiopia’s Almaz Ayana have been named the male and female World Athletes of the Year at the IAAF Athletics Awards 2016, held at Sporting Monte Carlo on Friday (2).

    Bolt, who won the award five times between 2008 and 2013, added to his legacy by earning the trophy for a record sixth occasion. The sprinting superstar this year successfully defended his Olympic titles in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m, bringing his lifetime tally of Olympic gold medals to nine.

    He clocked season’s bests of 9.81 and 19.78 to win the 100m and 200m in Rio and then anchored the Jamaican team to a world-leading 37.27 when winning the 4x100m.

    He also went undefeated throughout the whole season at all distances, including heats.

    Read More:https://www.iaaf.org/awards/news/athletics-awards-athlete-year-2016-bolt-ayana

     

    Read more »
  • Ethiopia's Merera Gudina detained after trip to Europe

    Merera Gudina had violated Ethiopia's state of emergency by having contact with "terrorist" and "anti-peace" groups, state-linked media reported.

    Mr Merera criticised the state of emergency in an address to the European parliament on 9 November.

    The government imposed it in October to end an unprecedented wave of protests against its 25-year rule.

    Mr Merera, who is the leader of the Oromo Federalist Conference, was arrested on Wednesday at the airport in the capital, Addis Ababa, after he flew in from Brussels, reports BBC Ethiopia correspondent Emmanuel Igunza.

    Several of his relatives who were with him were also detained, local media report.

    European parliament member Ana Maria Gomes, who invited Mr Merera, told the BBC she was "extremely shocked" about the arrests.

    Read more »
  • Spanish court calls for Barcelona forward Neymar to serve two-year prison sentence

     Spanish prosecutors have called for Barcelona forward Neymar to be sent to prison for two years for his part in a corruption case over his transfer from Brazilian club Santos in 2013.

    Judge Jose Perals also called for a five-year sentence for former Barcelona president Sandro Rosell and a fine of 8.4million euros (£7.2m) for the club.

    It asked to drop charges against current president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

    Rosell, Neymar and his father are set to stand trial.

    The case stems from a complaint by Brazilian investment group DIS, which owned 40% of Neymar's transfer rights and alleges it received less money than it was entitled to from transfer fee.

    Rosell resigned as the club's president in 2014 for his role in the affair and testified in court in February alongside Bartomeu, Neymar and Neymar's father.

    The club struck a deal with prosecutors in June to settle a separate case, paid a £4.7m fine and avoided trial on charges of tax evasion over the transfer.

    Barcelona thought they had brought the affair to a close when judge Jose de la Mata archived the case in June, although Spain's public prosecutor successfully overturned the ruling in September, allowing the case to proceed.

    Neymar's Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi was sentenced to 21 months in prison for tax fraud earlier this year.

    He has appealed against the sentence and, under the Spanish legal system, prison terms of under two years are typically suspended.

    Since moving to the Nou Camp, 24-year-old Neymar has won two La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey trophies, the Champions League, the European Super Cup, the Spanish Super Cup and the Club World Cup.

    He signed a new five-year contract with Barcelona in October.

    Source: BBC

     

     

    Read more »
  • Afghanistan mosque attack: 30 dead, ISIS claims respond

     

    ISIS says it carried out the suicide bomb attack Monday in the Afghan capital of Kabul which killed at least 30 people and left more than 70 injured.

    The explosion occurred when the bomber detonated their vest inside a mosque in the sixth police district of Kabul, according to Basir Mujahid, spokesman for the local police force. Mujahid told CNN that children and women were among the victims.

    ISIS claimed responsibility via a statement published by its media wing, Amaq news agency.

    The statement said that it targeted the Shia gathering in Kabul but did not disclose any information on the identity of the suicide bomber.

    The attack took place at 12:10 p.m. (2:40 a.m. ET) after a suicide attacker entered Shia mosque Baqir ul-Uloom as religious worshipers gathered to mark the Shia ceremony of Arbaeen, which comes 40 days after the major festival of Ashura.

    Ashura commemorates the martyrdom of Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad who was killed in the year 680 AD.

    Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid has denied the group is responsible for Monday's attack.

    Last week a suicide attack near the Defense Ministry in Kabul killed four people and wounded 11, the latest in a series of attacks which have come around the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks and the beginning of the subsequent US "war on terror."

    On November 11, four Americans were killed in an attack at Bagram Airfield.

    The Taliban claimed responsibility for that strike, praising the "strong attack" on Bagram Airfield in a tweet.

    In a statement, Mujahid said a suicide bomber had targeted "a sports ground where more than 100 military officers, important people and soldiers were busy exercising."

    In the same week, a suicide attack targeting the German consulate in northern Balkh province killed four others.

    Source: CNN

     

     

    Read more »
RSS